Student Feature: Olivia Arnone

Olivia Arnone is a fourth-year fine art photography student at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). She was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and in suburban New Jersey.  She transferred to RIT after studying photography at Parsons, The New School in New York City. At RIT, she has continued to build her portfolio into a more focused environment, honing her technical skills, and developing her view of the world exploring its juxtaposition with life.

Olivia views art as an emotional catharsis, a kind of oblique confession. It allows her to investigate how culture and her interpersonal relationships shape her identity as well questioning the “real”. Because of her education experiences in art, she has developed an interest in curating and managing art spaces. She wishes to pursue a career working in a museum or gallery, while also creating 2D and 3D artistic pieces.

How has RIT helped shape you?
Becoming part of the RIT community has benefited me socially, challenged me academically, and has enhanced my need for and interest in introspection. I arrived at RIT thirsty for knowledge and motivation. I’ve gained that and much more from my supportive and talented professors Carole Woodlock and Laurie O’Brien who have been important mentors during my time at RIT. This University provided an environment that I will always remember as a place that fostered immense artistic and personal growth.

Favorite Class
My first creative writing course at RIT is an experience that I hold as especially memorable. The class showed me a new way of constructing narratives without visuals. This pushed me out of my comfort zone and into a new found love, the world of written self-expression. I’ve begun to write daily, using the written word as an added element in my artist practice.

You can see more of Oilivia’s work at http://olivia-grace-photography.com/