Alumni Feature: Katie DiFrancesco

Alumni are always welcome to share their story and 2017 grad Katie DiFrancesco was interested. After Katie successfully finished her courses in May 2017, applied to, and was invited to work in the White House. She shared her story below.

Staff members have their official portraits taken in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building at the White House. Official White House Photo by Stephanie Chasez taken Wednesday, September 20, 2017.

Biography:|
Katie DiFrancesco graduated May 2017 and earned a Bachelor’s degree in Photographic and Imaging Arts with an emphasis in visual media. She recently completed an internship in the White House Photo Office, during the summer and part of fall 2017.  Through these experiences, Katie has worked to employ her detail-oriented approaches and skills using the Adobe Creative Suite for marketing, design, and photography.  Her work has been featured in the School of Photographic Arts and Sciences Honors Show and the White House Photos of the Week: Christmas at the White House.  A passionate singer and artist, Katie has executed designs and proposed marketing strategies for of the Choirs of RIT and her anti-bullying work, Project 27:1.  Katie plans to continue applying her experiences and extensive skills to her many passions, particularly education and public service.

How did you get this internship?
I was looking for a job in Washington, D.C. after graduation.  When I did not hear back from any of my applications,  I decided I needed to try another angle.  I applied to the White House Internship Program and thought, “It most likely will never happen, but try anyway.”  The next thing I knew, I  was being interviewed for an internship in the White House Photo Office. Shortly  after the interview, I  received an email inviting me to the position.

What was it like anticipating the start?
I was definitely nervous and excited, not only because it was a new experience, but also because I had never been away from Rochester for more than a week by myself.  I made it a priority to go to Washington with an open mind and to get to know everyone in the Photo Office. I also wanted meet as many new people as I could while on the White House Campus.

What did you do while interning in the White House Photo Office?
I was primarily responsible for editing photos for requests, cataloging the large format prints that are hung in the West Wing and acting as an assistant photographer during events that were open to the press corp in addition to photography for the White House Internship Program.  I photographed so many events along with independent photographers of  Washington, D.C., there were so many that I lost track very quickly!

Any special stories or experiences?
Good question!  If I had to name one, it would have to be Monday, Nov. 20, 2017.  I was photographing the delivery of the White House Christmas Tree to Mrs. Trump.  I was stationed in the area where the press corp. is allowed access and one of the press photographers was trying to get me to move out of my position. My editor who assigned me told me to stand my ground.  I ended up getting a wide-angle shot that was featured in Photos of the Week: Christmas at the White House.  One of the editors told me that and to this day, I still can’t believe my name is next to the byline, “Official White House Photo by…”  You can find the link in the biography on my website.  My mom loves talking about that experience!

How did the internship change you?
Thinking about that question, I am reminded of the lyrics from “I Am Moana”, which talks about how a journey can help us to go from who we were to who we have become.  In a similar fashion, this internship helped me to transition from a college graduate to an adult, learning to thrive, not just survive, without my parents to help me 24/7. I  also learned how to embrace the family of staff in the White House Photo Office and everyone at Twinbrook Community Church.  I am forever humbled by their guidance and encouragement. I look forward to the day when I will be able to see them again.

Anything else you would like to share?|
I would encourage any of the students at RIT to pursue an internship in the White House.  Regardless of your politics, this is an incredibly rewarding opportunity and if I could do it over and over again, I would. This internship allowed me opportunities not just to be a photographer or editor, but to embrace the skills I didn’t even know I had!  I could on all day about the experience – that’s how amazing the experience is!

Website: http://www.katie-difrancesco.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/katie-difrancesco/