From the Classroom: PHAP-416

the NYC AD Photo Class by David Turner

This year’s 2018 RIT Ad Photo Trip took twenty students to New York City in October. Hosted by Clay Patrick McBride and David Turner, the class visited industry titans such as Rolling Stone, Harper’s Bazaar, Atlantic Records, and a host of inspiring and helpful advertising photography leaders.

Click the following to view as a GIF

The trip has been an RIT tradition for thirty one years, started by Denis Defibaugh and David Robertson, offering appointments with the biggest names in photography, followed by portfolio reviews in the evening at photo studios around Manhattan.

Twelve industry leaders gathered at RIT alum Steve Giralt’s Studio for an amazing evening of portfolio reviews.

As 4th year student Adrian Ababovic noted, “It was great to get insight into the industry with face- to-face meetings with photographers, producers, image re-touchers, studio managers, as well as getting a look at the agency side’s insight into the industry, meeting with advertising agencies, modeling agencies, and photo agents. It was also amazing that a lot of these industry greats were able to look at our portfolios and give us valuable feedback.”

Earnest Williams (r) of Muse Models Adrian Ababovic (l).

Gregg Lhotsky agent

Senior Photo student Nina Salerno said, “Going to NYC and meeting all the incredible people was an eye-opening experience I am grateful for. It was motivating and inspiring. It gave me a better understanding of the industry and what I need to achieve before I graduate.”

Candice  Grimes a 4th year student said, “I came away from the NYC trip with a clear vision of where I fit in to this industry. I know which companies I want to work for and which ones aren’t the right fit. And I have a laundry list of ways I can improve and grow as an Artist”

Class Group shot outside of Jay Maisel’s building

Meghan Marin said, “Visiting New York was a great way to see where the industry is moving and how quickly things are changing. It’s great to see how much success graduates from RIT have after such a short time in the industry. They’ve worked so hard. Getting our portfolios reviewed, especially by a spectrum of people in different rolls was very helpful.”

Atlantic Records

Anomaly –  Garrett Chases and Jenna Garofalo

Design Director Elizabeth Hummer of Harpers Bazaar and Ignacio Murillo

Andrea Allen at Definition 6 Production

Gene Bressier of Catchlight Digital

Bjorn Looss – photographer

Mary Ellen Matthews of Saturday Night Live

I asked Denis what has changed about the trip in the last 31 years?
Denis Deifbaugh said, “The actual trip is still very similar to past trips. Full days of visits with a rounded look at the Advertising Photo Business in NYC. We have seen icons of photography doing the trip including: Albert Watson, Lillian Bassman, Hans Neleman, Matt Mahurin, Annie Lebovitz, Mary Ellen Mark, Jay Maisel, Hiro, Arnold Newman, and David LaChappell to name a few visits. We always saw top photographers, ad agencies, magazines, studios, designers, and agents/reps. This trip has always been about meeting the best in the business, creating a network, and connecting with alumni.”

About David Turner

David Turner is a visiting assistant professor of photography at RIT Photo