A Student’s Point of View: Using Resources

Eric Kunsman is known for teaching printing and color management classes. He is co-coordinator for the annual RIT BIG SHOT along with Dan Hughes another photography professor who both succeeded Michael Peres as the new Big Shot coordinators. Eric is also a lecturer at NTID, the National Institute for the Deaf. Did you know he tutors NTID students in many courses including Photo Technology as well? As an advertising photography student, I am a cross-registered NTID student and it is required to take the Photo Technology course to advance in the photo program.  Photo Technology is a challenging course which is just one course that NTID provides tutoring for cross-registered NTID students. I sought out the services and that’s how I met Eric. Talking about Eric seemed like a great blog post.

Eric with some of his Kodak collection

Eric Kunsman is a professor, photographer, and entrepreneur. Eric holds four different degrees, MFA in Book Arts/ Printmaking from University of the Arts in Philadelphia, PA as well as an MS in Electronic Publishing/ Graphic Arts Media, BS in Biomedical Photography and BFA in Fine Art photography from RIT. Yes, Eric is an Alumni! He continues to work on personal projects and exhibit them Internationally. In 2019 he has been included in over 40 group exhibitions and held 5 solo exhibitions of his work. In his free time, he runs Booksmart Studio, which prints for other photographers and their exhibitions as well as producing limited edition books. Currently, Eric teaches the Fine Edition Print Workflow & Color Management classes, teaches multiple courses for NTID, and tutors NTID students. Isn’t it impressive Eric Kunsman holds four degrees, it is really a competition between him and his wife. 

Teaching a Workshop in Image Workflow

I asked Eric what sparked his interest to pursue so many degrees relating to photography. Eric started photography in 11th grade he couldn’t let go of it. Photography really inspired him when a visiting photographer visited his high school and many photojournalists migrated to his hometown to photograph the changing steel industry. He quickly realized how he could use photography to express himself, while also documenting history! Eric Kunsman is a big “film guy” he appreciates the analog processes where he spends endless hours in the darkroom just for the great final picture. His passion for photography definitely shows through his ease in teaching printmaking and tutoring Photo Tech.

A personal piece of Eric’s photography

My first tutoring session with Eric was eye-opening because I realized I was missing out on the one-on-one learning experiences I needed. After a few sessions with Eric, he guided my preparations and I was able to tackle my biggest challenge, using Excel®,  and being more prepared in general.

Eric setting up for an Exhibition at the Dyer Art Gallery at NTID

Throughout the semester, going to these helpful tutoring sessions improved my grades. Eric gave me confidence with his light, patience and funny teaching style to get me through this class. The environment in his tutoring sessions really helped me worry less about labs and tests. The tools and encouragement helped me pass the class with flying colors.

Dan Hughes and Eric hold an enlargement of RIT Big Shot No 33

I wanted to bring up if any students feel they are facing challenges, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Any teacher especially here at RIT, is there to help guide you, much like Eric Kunsman did for me! There are many resources on the campus and if  you look in the right places and advocate for yourself, you might be surprised how much it can bring to you in the long run. Without guidance from Eric Kunsman, I wouldn’t be as confident as I am now in taking on my studies.

About Emily Sudock
Emily is a second-year advertising photography student who is also cross-registered in the National Technical Institute for the Deaf. I have been hard of hearing most of my life. I was born in China adopted by my loving family. They are a big part of life. I have a Nikon 600 with a 35 mm lens which I love taking portraits with.