Student Feature: Paris Benson

I first met Paris Benson in 2017 at a RIT Photo summer Digital Workshop for high school students. At the time, she was quiet but very curious and worked hard. In the fall of the 2018, she enrolled in RIT and over the last four years, has worked very diligently towards her goals and grown expotentially. I recently invited her to share her story. Professor Michael Peres

Bio: Paris Benson is a dedicated Visual Media photography student completing her senior year at RIT. She grew up in Rochester, N.Y. and lives with her family of seven. Growing up with three siblings with special needs really shaped Paris into the mature woman that she is today. Attending RIT had always been a dream and now, she is fulfilling the dream with the support of friends and family and has found her artistic voice throughout all. Outside of school, Paris enjoys baking zucchini bread, making earrings, and listening to slow jazz. You can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Leaf and Bean, or thrifting at local shops.

You enrolled in the digital photo for high school students’ workshop so many years ago, how have you changed since then?

In 2017, I attended the RIT digital photography workshop. I was fresh out of high school at the time and my love for photography was developing professionally as I took senior photos, family photos and wedding photos. Coming to RIT for this workshop was not only eye opening but solidified my dream of coming to RIT in the future. After this, I spent one semester at MCC to get ahead on credits and finally my photographic journey came full circle as I transferred to RIT in 2018. Since then, I’ve immersed myself in the RIT photography program as a Visual Media student and have tested out many different photography styles. I really found my voice in March of 2020; quarantine allowed me to experiment with different techniques and create images that were driven purely from my imagination. Since then, I have been continually motivated to create new work. My childhood love for photography has developed into 10 years of consistently photographing, and I am still completely in love with making work.

What has been your most challenging assignment as a photography student?

My most challenging assignment yet was photographing a plate of spaghetti for my recent Food Photography class. I know it sounds simple, but it was extremely challenging. The assignment happened in early March 2020 and was based on making a piece from ingredients found around the house; my dish of choice was pasta. When I shoot, I love focusing on the details. Since we were not allowed to leave the house, we did not have any herbs for garnish, so I ended up using pine needles and crushed leaves as herbs to sprinkle on top of the spaghetti – that’s the magic of photography! After shooting this for several hours, I went through all my outtakes and noticed minor things wrong with the photos (one could say I am a perfectionist). Feeling unsatisfied, I completely reshot the pasta with different plates and lighting. Once I presented it to the class, I received lots of feedback to rework the image. Instead of submitting it as it was, I gathered all of my drive to reshoot it again. The most important thing I learned from this assignment is to keep trying. If your image doesn’t look the way you want it to look, keep trying until it meets your vision.

Why did you choose RIT, and can you share a reason why the photo program at RIT attracted you?

As a little girl, my parents would always drive past the entrance of RIT and it seemed like such a magical place. I always had a gut instinct that this is where I needed to be. It was a 15-minute drive from home, I got to stay close to my family, and have unlimited access to camera gear – the almighty trio! I can definitely say RIT has given me a totally different perspective of the world. Even though I had been taking photos for 10 years, when I came to RIT, I realized there is still so much more to learn, and I embraced this new frontier, and I still do to this day. Here, I am always learning, and for this opportunity I am so lucky. Additionally, when I attended the summer camp in 2017, I felt like I formed a real bond with the SPAS faculty. It made me look forward to seeing them again as an official RIT college student.  

What have been your experiences as a student at RIT? 

Attending RIT has made me realize there is more to photography than what I thought I knew. Even though I am not as strong in science and math, RIT has pushed me to excel in these areas, and challenged my knowledge and what I thought was possible in photography. In addition, I have built up such an amazing support system at RIT. My confidence has blossomed over the past few years, and the more I felt secure in myself and my work, the more I’ve been able to branch out and make genuine connections. In addition to making long lasting friendships, I also have been able to gain great job experience. One of my favorite experiences at RIT is working at the City Art Space gallery. As a gallery assistant, I‘ve learned how to install shows, meet curators, and work with an amazing boss, John Aasp. The City Art Space environment is one where I feel I am always learning and a safe space where I cherish all the memories I’ve created with my coworkers. 

A favorite teacher story:

In 2019, I had Kes Efstathiou as a professor for Photo Arts ll. Photo Arts was one of the first classes that allowed me to use my voice freely in my work. Kes has certainly taught me about artistic freedom and the use of improvisation. He always encourages students to use resources around them instead of relying only on student equipment from the cage. For example, we created our own light modifiers with household items and had to use them for our assignment. Being able to improvise and get crafty with different shoots has allowed me to be flexible outside of the classroom. One thing I have learned is to never have expectations for a photo shoot. Not everything will run smoothly. I have learned to be able to think quickly on my feet and use what is around me, which has made me a stronger photographer and person. 

What are you plans after School?

After I graduate, I plan on traveling the world (by then hopefully, COVID is over – fingers crossed) and exploring new areas before settling into a career. Eventually, I plan on moving to a state where I can live a simple life, and where the landscapes are breathtaking. My goal as of now is to become a freelance photographer and work in a variety of environments, or potentially become an Art Director for a company I love. With the pandemic happening right now, it is hard to tell where the wind will take me, but my goal is to live in the moment. I know that the perfect opportunity will present itself to me when the time is right.

Advice for future students! 

My advice for RIT photo students is to not only work hard but to promote a positive and collaborative community. Collaboration is one of the most vital things you can do in college. Build your people skills while you are in such a rich and supportive community. Work with students who may not be in your major! Everyone’s perspective is unique and valuable. Helping others and being kind is the best tool you can have in your toolbox. Being an artist in college is a personal journey of self-discovery, so focus on making work that you want to make. Never stop shooting and always be willing to lend a hand to someone who might need it. Being kind will get you the furthest in college and in life.

Social Media Links:
Website: http://parisebenson.com

Instagram: @ paris.benson