Student feature – Jordan Briscoe

BriscoeJ
Jordan Briscoe was born in North Syracuse, New York, in 1993. She is a fourth-year Imaging and Photographic Sciences major, specializing in Biomedical Photographic Communications. She and will be graduating from RIT in May 2015. Her work is based primarily in high magnified imaging and focuses on engaging viewers with objects not easily seen by the naked eye.

Q: What was your most challenging assignment as a photography student?
A: I think I can combine my two final projects for my high magnified imaging concentration into the most challenging assignments together. For my macro photography class, I imaged the inner workings of wristwatches and created an article about the history, function, and types of wristwatches, found here: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artdec13macro/Briscoe_Article.pdf. It was challenging due to the reflective nature of the metal, and how each image interacted with one another in image processing. In my photomicroscopy class, my goal was to prepare and section my own live botanic samples embedded in wax, to create slides that were able to be imaged under a microscope. Although the project was long and intensive, I obtained a good result and was proud of the work I had put into the process.

Q: What do you love about the school?
A: I believe that the Photographic Sciences program is a small community that fosters support and respect from both the students and the faculty. Although as students we are often working on the same projects and competing with one another for the best images, we also genuinely assist one another, eager to see everyone succeed in their own goals. We understand that we’re a small group, and that we’ll be seeing and hearing a lot about each other, so we work that to our advantage in our time here. There’s no sense in dividing among us just to gain an edge, when in reality working closely together is what allows us to succeed in many ways. It’s easy to feel like a very small minority on a campus of engineers and computer techs, but we own our place on this campus, and continue to grow the program into something definitely worth noticing.

Briscoe-6 Briscoe-5 Briscoe-4 Daphnia Briscoe-2 Briscoe-1

For more of Jordan’s work, please visit and contact her through www.jbriscoe.com.