Alumni Feature – Juan Madrid

SONY DSC

My name is Juan Madrid and I graduated from the fine art photography program in 2013. I’m currently working on my own photographic projects while working the occasional odd job.

Since graduation, I haven’t actively pursued employment in the photographic industry – I’ve worked a few non-photo jobs to earn money to support myself. I have kept busy with shooting my own projects though and am currently working on a project based around my hometown.

JuanMadrid_1

I had my first monograph, Waiting on the Dream, published in 2014 by VUU, a Brooklyn-based publisher. That book is made up of photographs from the city of Flint, Michigan.  Also, Brett Carlsen (RIT Photojournalism alumnus, 2012) and I will be self-publishing a collaborative publication, Welcome to Flint, in the near future – we’re still working on the design with RIT alumna Sarah Infranco (Visual Media, 2013).

JuanMadrid_2

Besides that, Neal Danis (RIT Fine Art Photography alumnus, 2013) and I are currently working together on the Free Lunch Cartel, an outlet for publishing our own work and the work of others. Our first call for work was fairly successful – we’re planning to have our first publications ready by this summer and hopefully get a table at the New York Art Book Fair.

JuanMadrid_3

My current plan is to move somewhere new by October or November, mostly because I need things to be shaken up. Until then I’ll keep on photographing and start making a more concentrated effort at pushing into getting commissioned work.

JuanMadrid_4

JuanMadrid_5

See more of Juan’s work at:

juanmadridphoto.com

juanmadridphotography.tumblr.com

instagram.com/juanmadrid_photo